Turtles All The Way Down by John Green


*images are from Pinterest*

35504431

Title: Turtles All The Way Down
Author: John Green
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐.5
Published October 10th 2017 by Dutton Books for Young Readers
ISBN: 0525555366 (ISBN13: 9780525555360)

Synopsis

Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett’s son, Davis. Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts.

Source: Goodreads

"I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now."
A lot of readers have been raving about John Green’s latest book. When The Fault in Our Stars boomed its success not only on the book ratings but also to the movie adaptation itself. I’m one of those readers that loved on TFiOS and who cried a lot. So knowing that he released another book, is another thing for me to look forward. 

Now, the burning question here is, why did I rate it as 3.5 stars?!?! I know some of you loved this book so much but after I read TFiOS, I had high expectations for his latest book. TFiOS and TTAWD are definitely different from each other. TFiOS introduced me to a lot of sensitive issues, like cancer and death and I invested so many feelings on the Hazel and Augustus.
"And the thing is, when you lose someone, you realize you'll eventually lose everyone."
TTAWD is a fresh topic for me. I did not know much about anxiety and OCD and I’ve been trying to understand what the character feels. I really wanted to empathize with Aza’s thoughts, but like in the book, I see more of myself with Daisy’s character.  The friendship they have is one of the greatest things on this book, it is not perfect and yet I feel very contented with the way Daisy and Aza open up with each other.  
"You seemed locked inside of your mind, and I can't know what's going on in there, and it scares me."
Aza and Daisy are different, Daisy is more like the realistic and blatant type of person and I honestly see myself with her. I am that person who thinks more of the real deal and I do not want to get stuck with my own thoughts. That’s the main point. I find Aza very sensitive at everything and it feels like I am such a bad person for not understanding what she feels or what she’s been dealing with. 
"You'd think solving mysteries would bring you closure, that closing the loop would comfort and quiet your mind. But it never does. The truth always disappoints."
 What I enjoyed on reading this book is the idea of falling in love. Davis and Aza shared a kind of love so innocent in every way. In the progress of figuring out what they are dealing in their own lives, love helps them to escape and discover what they've been trying to know upon themselves.

I think Turtles All The Way Down does not only shares a lot of awareness about OCD and anxiety, but it also gives the readers the feeling of falling in love even in times when you have a battle on your own.
"You remember your first love because they show you, prove to you, that you can love and be loved, that nothing in this world is deserved except for love, that love is both how you become a person, and why."

Share:

0 comments