The Silent Boy

Title : The Silent Boy
Author : Lois Lowry
Rating : 3.5 Stars

Precocious Katy Thatcher comes to realize what a gentle, silent boy did for his family. He meant to help, not harm. It didn’t turn out that way.

Source : Goodreads 

 

When it comes to Lois Lowry, people usually recognize her acclaimed work of The Giver, I'm very much curious about that story but what mesmerize me the most is the Silent Boy. I'm not implying that I love this more than The Giver, but there is jus something mysterious from the boy on the cover that makes me wanted to know more about it.

The Silent Boy is one of the books that can make readers realize the essence of deep friendship and love through silence. It could make you think that how come that this girl, Katy can understand the touched boy, Jacob. How people can know more about each other if they can't look straight in the eyes without any hesitation? Katy and his father can already feel that on Jacob. They can feel his concern and love for his family.

Jacob, the touched boy, have this unexplainable personality that can make readers think awfully at what he is clearly thinking. What he thinks of his father? What he felt everytime people criticize and tease him for being "touched"? I was full of pity when it comes to Jacob as I was reading the book.

I've had this big expectation inside my giddy mind that somehow Katy can get to know more about him, but it was the other way around. Katy just keeps on telling about her family and Jacob's. I desperately needed to know that Katy can get to know a lot, understand and feel his sadness. Well at some part it somehow shows that Katy wanted to help Jacob. At the end, I was very sad and disappointed. Not in a very bad way, but I was just expecting more of it. It was a great quick read though.

Share:

0 comments