Vortex

Vortex (Insignia, #2)Title : Vortex (Insignia # 2)
Author : S.J. Kincaid
Rating : 5 Stars!

Hardcover, 400 pages
Published July 2nd 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books
ISBN:  0062093029 (ISBN13: 9780062093028)
Source Copy : from FullyBooked
 
The impossible was just the beginning. Now in their second year as superhuman government weapons-in-training at the Pentagonal Spire, Tom Raines and his friends are mid-level cadets in the elite combat corps known as the Intrasolar Forces. But as training intensifies and a moment arrives that could make or break his entire career, Tom’s loyalties are again put to the test.

Encouraged to betray his ideals and friendships for the sake of his country, Tom is convinced there must be another way. And the more aware he becomes of the corruption surrounding him, the more determined he becomes to fight it, even if he sabotages his own future in the process.

Drawn into a power struggle more dramatic than he has ever faced before, Tom stays a hyperintelligent step ahead of everyone, like the exceptional gamer he is—or so he believes. But when he learns that he and his friends have unwittingly made the most grievous error imaginable, Tom must find a way to outwit an enemy so nefarious that victory seems hopeless. Will his idealism and bravado cost him everything—and everyone that matters to him?

Filled with action and intelligence, camaraderie and humor, the second book in S.J. Kincaid’s futuristic World War III Insignia trilogy continues to explore fascinating and timely questions about power, politics, technology, loyalty, and friendship
 
Source : Goodreads

"Sometimes I think that even if the game ended today, it would be too late to get back to the country we once had."
- General Marsh
GOODNESS GRACIOUS, WHAT MORE CAN I ASK FOR ON THIS BOOK. 
 
I am astonished with the world that S.J. Kincaid created from the start of the book, Insignia. It views another place that I totally would love to live in. The war has never been more climatic than ever before. 
Tom, Vik and Wyatt are now Middles. They surpassed the most toughest tests of being a plebe. So from being a plebe into a Middle may not be as good as it sounds since it results into another obstacles and tests but they are ready when that time comes. They always are.
Actually, after I read Vortex my mind is all messed up on making this review. Simply because it catastrophically blowed my mind and I don't know what would be the appropriate nor understandable sentence I should create upon this. (Whew. What a total confession I made) 
After all the tests and simulations that Tom have been through during his first year, he is keenly aware of what will come up next on his second year. A stairs to be a CamCo. Of course, his stubborness will always be on top which resulted in a complicated situation. But from all of it, he knows how to withstand all of it for the sake of his friends, father and also for himself. I adore Tom's honesty and his perspective on the world and people. He was never afraid to speak what's on his mind whether the idea is silly or wise. 
First thing that I will always love in Insignia and Vortex, it's the never-ending brotherhood "Doctors of Doom" tandem of Tom and Vik. Everytime these two combines, their minds will clash and poof, a sudden laughter will come out of me. It's a refreshing part for me since its full of action which I dearly loved too, there's a funny side of being serious and all of that.
The simulation tests just doubled the fun and action in Vortex. Exactly the title itself. It combines a strategical test of patience, bravery and of course, wisdom. Every chapter, every test is unpredictable and full of action. The simulation avatars and the place feels real on my mind. The possibilities to survive the challenge are always there, the statistics to survive are definitely calculated yet the most surprising movements definitely prevails with the characters. I adore that part because even though they have neural processors they never let that to do all the challenge, they have their own will and strength to finish it. That's what significantly embodies S.J. Kincaid's book, it's letting your own mind to gradually learn from your mistakes and make remedy for it.
Tom and Vik, their bond of friendship was also tested upon Vortex. A problem that shallowed my heart when they've faced a conflict they can't solve at the end of the day. I admire how S. J. Kincaid showed more on the thoughts of Vik. I am always curious of what's inside of Vik's mind when it comes to his friendship with Tom. It's a bond that I will always cling on. When I read it, (I won't spoil anything) it nearly made me cry. 
Wyatt definitely inclined herself to be more competitive. She became (scary) brave and fierce to face Heather. Good girl gone bad indeed. It totally hit me when Wyatt can duly protect herself from the threat of Heather, she welcomed the fight whole-heartedly and defeated her in an instant. Another thing that I discovered on Wyatt, it's her love on Yuri. Because beyond those intelligent mind lies a fragile heart. I am amazed of her feelings about being so fragile yet she remains strong inspite all of it.
Last but not the least, of course, the WAR. asdfghjkl I love her concept of WAR! I just can't contain myself anymore on what should I type next! (AAHHH!) It makes me feel I am actually present with the characters as they were simulated upon it. You can even feel the characters movements, seeing them as they make strategies to win. And those EXOSUITS are damn great! I want to have one! Every equipments are all new and greatly maintained with so much detail. I almost think that those things could even exists in the future.
Vortex totally nailed it! A sequel that definitely defies almost everything my mind and heart wanted to attain. This is an intergalactic space fight that readers will definitely be hooked up. It embodies a whole lot of action and betrayal. This sequel is a series of systematic events that entwines with hardship, failure, and consequences in which the characters learned and heroically faced all of it.
 
My reactions when I was reading it:
 
"Huh?" Tom said. "Huh?" Vik said.
 
A certain incident that happened to Tom at Antarctica and when Yuri almost lost his neural processor.

Share:

2 comments

  1. Hmmm.... I'll definitely have to check this series out. I didn't want to read your review too thoroughly in case it spoiled the first book, but it sounds like a great series!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha..i know, my review looks like a bit spoilery though. thanks for visiting my page. it means a lot to me. :D
      you'll definitely love the INSIGNIA series. :D

      by the way, im your 399th follower! yay!

      Delete