My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises by Fredrik Backman


*images are from Pinterest*


Title: My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises
Author: Fredrik Backman
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Paperback, 340 pages
Published June 4th 2015 by Sceptre
ISBN13: 9781444775846

Synopsis


EVERYONE REMEMBERS THE SMELL OF THEIR GRANDMOTHER' HOUSE

Everyone remembers the stories their grandmother told them. But does everyone remember their grandmother flirting with policemen? Driving illegally? Breaking into a zoo in the middle of the night? Firing a paintball gun from a balcony in her dressing gown? Seven-year-old Elsa does. 

Some might call Elsa's granny 'eccentric', or even 'crazy'. Elsa calls her a superhero. And granny's stories, of knights and princesses and dragons and castles, are her superpower. Because, as Elsa is starting to learn, heroes and villains don't always exist in imaginary kingdoms; they could live just down the hallway. 

As Christmas draws near, even the best superhero grandmothers may have one or two things they'd like to apologize for. And, in the process, Elsa can have some breath-taking adventures of her own ...

Heartbreaking and hilarious in equal measure, the new novel by the author of the internationally bestselling phenomenon A Man Called Ove will charm and delight anyone who has ever had a grandmother.

Source: Goodreads

This book is my first Fredrik Backman book. I will tell you from the start, it is a kind of book that touched me in a lot of unexplainable manners. I cried a lot and most importantly, this book definitely reminds me of my grandmother which I dearly love and at this point, I still miss her every single day.

Fredrik Backman’s My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologies is a story of a grandmother’s love that tugs its reader's hearts swiftly. It takes you to a wonderful adventure of a seven-year-old girl finding her most treasured moments in life.
It's very difficult not to love someone who can hear you say something as horrible as that and still be on your side.
Out of all the books that I have read, this is the most personal book that I’ve been so attached with. I lived with my grandmother ever since I was born and I felt Elsa’s deep emotion towards her grandmother. The book became a second nature on me, almost felt like it just narrates everything that I felt to my grandmother.
A grandmother is both a sword and a shield. 
The book takes the readers to discover the secrets behind Elsa’s grandmother bedtime stories. The knights, princesses, and witches have their own stories to tell. And you will see how it all connect the dots to the whole story. It was a wonderful and tricky part to see how Elsa will be able to handle everything in such a young age.
Because not all monsters were monsters in the beginning. Some are monsters born of sorrow. 
As Elsa discovers more about her grandmother, her world widens up and at such a young age, Elsa has a lot of sympathy on them. Even though she always tells what she thinks about, she knows what she’ll do to solve the problem as much as possible.

It is not just about Elsa, what I love even more about this book is that all of the characters have their own back stories, even the dog has its own story to tell! How wonderful is that?!?!? The stories unveil as the bedtime stories actually signify some of them in reality. And for that, I  am very amused by Elsa’s grandmother. She clearly planned all along what she will do once she leaves Elsa behind.

The mightiest power of death is not that it can make people die, but that it can make the people left behind want to stop living.
Most importantly, the book is not just about the loss and unconditional love of a grandmother. The book touched my heart with these fearless and lovable characters, each of them has their own characteristics that signify what a family does to you. It leaves me breathless at the end.
There's something quite special about a granny's house. Even if ten or twenty or thirty years go by, you never forget how it smells. 

Share:

0 comments